Spring's skin care

Okay I'm back. I was away to study and pass my exams. But I'm here, I'm alive and kicking. And super nervous about the results.
Other then school. We all noticed; spring is finally showing it's face in Northern Europe! Yes! Although it took his big friend mister Too Much Wind along. But who cares, the sun is shining! And I don't need to wear 3 t-shirts to survive going outside.
Since the weather is changing, the skin's needs are changing. So everyone needs to adjust their cosmetic use to their skin's seasonal needs. Spring has less cold and dry winds so your skin will probably be less dry and sensitive. So all hydrating creams and serums can go back in the drawer and we need to focus on the other needs of our skin.
Like for example, spring - summer brings more sun, pollen, insects and more pollution (see below). Overexposure to all these factors can cause hyper pigmentation and early development of wrinkles. This indicates that no matter the age, skin type or skin colour, protection is necessary. You can use a foundation or BB cream containing an SPF higher than 15 to help against radiation from the sun. BB creams are also available with SPF 30 or higher, so BB might be a good base to protect the skin. Sunblocks containing PA(+, ++ or +++) are good protection against sun radiation. SPF is specifically to protect the skin against UVB and PA is to protect against UVA. So they say. Although some labels don't use the name PA, but still protect against UVA. Together these two sun blockers also protect agains pollution. Pollution seems to be higher during summer than during winter, because the days are longer so there's more sunlight, more ultraviolet radiation and more ozone. All these factors can influence the existence of radicals* in the air which can cause oxidation and thus damage to the skin. So sunblock is not a bad idea. Creams with antioxidants are also good products to protect your skin. For example creams containing high doses vitamin E or C or serums with antioxidants.
*Radicals are small particles that can impel oxidation of the skin.


I like the UV perfect from L'Oreal, it has SPF50 and PA+++ which gives optimum protection against the sun. I use it as a moisturizing base under my make up, but after my day cream. 
I like the Capital Soleil from Vichy, which I use for the rest of my body. I know it sounds as if I don't want to tan at all, but woman are vulnerable for hyper-pigmentation, brown spots and premature aging. So you have to protect yourself.
 
Then there are skin products which are good because they give your skin that extra push to stay fresh and healthy even after a long day at the beach. Cicaplast is a good cream to use at night. It contains vitamin B5 (Panthenol) which speeds up the turnover of skin cells to help the skin restore itself and stay healthy, it also helps to reduce pore size and helps with wound healing. I love this cream, because it hydrates my skin very good. And it doesn't make the skin fat or greasy. When my skin really needs that extra push, I use cicaplast as a base during the day, before my BB.
Ceralip is a cream for the lips, it is really fat and smears good so it comes in handy when you have dried lips from the sun. Both of these creams are from La Roche-Posay

The bright sun and warm weather can also cause damage to your hair which is why you should spend extra time treating your hair. Start using a conditioner if you wasn't using one. Take it easy with all the harsh perms and even anti-dandruff shampoos. Use a serum for your hair on a daily basis with special attention to the ends. Use soft oils like argan and coconut (see image) oil to keep the hair smooth. I personally like the awapuhi ginger oil from Organix, it is inspired by a Hawaiian formulation and should be used on dry hair. I just like it because Hawaiians have the same hair like me. When I was in Maui, people thought I was Hawaiian based on my hair. I mostly apply it the morning after the night I washed my hair and when my hair becomes dry.
Also avoid hair fat waxes (like petroleum waxes and juvet) and gel waxes. Fat waxes contain heavy saturated fats which are heated easily and thus can cause overheating of your hair. They also stay hot for a longer period which can induce even more damage. Gel waxes just make your hair dry. This effect is non-seasonal. 

And because I like you all and think we should be more loving towards one-another here are some beautiful deep purple tulips from Amsterdam +NL Museumplein
Take care...

No comments:

Post a Comment